International Tax is Hard
We understand that international tax law can be daunting, overwhelming, and downright confusing.
We focus our entire law practice on IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs. This typically includes IRS reporting of offshore money through various international tax forms and entry into either OVDP or the Streamlined Program.
FAQs & More
Below please find links to frequently asked questions we have been asked throughout the years.
*Sometimes the rules and laws change unexpectedly. As such, it is important to note that these are basic guides. They are not a roadmap for you to use to submit your own application.
If you want to submit your own application, you are doing so at your own risk and none of the information contained in these frequently asked questions can be considered legal advice.
** We are providing these resources at no fee. If you prefer to speak with our experienced Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Lawyers, please schedule an appointment for a Reduced-Fee Consultation.
We do not offer Free Consultations. We have found that many firms that offer these Free Consultations are really just trying to bait you, sell you, or scare you. That is not how we operate at Golding & Golding; we help you safely and effectively get into IRS offshore compliance and the initial reduced-fee consultation is purely to provide you with specific, valuable information and we do not try to scare you or sell you.
If you are interested in a reduced-fee consultation, please contact us here.
In a Nutshell (1-Page Summaries)
- IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure
- Streamlined Filing Compliance (Streamlined Domestic & Foreign)
- Quiet Disclosure
- FBAR Penalties
Ready To Hire An OVDP Lawyer?
- Hiring an OVDP Lawyer: How To Separate Fact From Fiction
- What is an Enrolled Agent – An Elite IRS Tax Credential
- Willful with Mitigating Factors – The Dangers of Using Inexperienced Counsel
- You may be able to Qualify for an OVDP Opt-Out Reduced Penalty
- OVDP FAQ
- Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures FAQ
- Expat FAQ
- FBAR FAQ
- FBAR Penalty Summary
- FATCA FAQ
- Summary of Common International Tax Forms
- Cryptocurrency Taxes
- Cryptocurrency FBAR Reporting
- Cryptocurrency FATCA Reporting
Common International Tax Forms & Terms
- Form 3520 (Foreign Gift) Basics
- Form 3520-A (Foreign Trust) Basics
- Form 5471 Basics
- Form 8621 Basics
- Form 8938 Basics
- Form 8865 Basics
- Form 8300 (Foreign Customers)
- Foreign Earned Income Example (IRS Form 2555)
- Foreign Life Insurance (FBAR & Taxation)
- Exit Tax Planning
Country-Specific Summary & Analyses
- U.S. Reporting & Taxation of Indian Income & Accounts
- U.S. Reporting & Taxation of Australian Superannuation Funds
- U.S. Reporting & Taxation of U.K. Pension and Retirement
- U.S. & Taiwan Tax and Reporting Basics
- U.S. Reporting of Foreign Gifts from Taiwan and China
Case Studies, Summaries and Examples
- OVDP Willfulness, “Penny Wise and Pound Foolish”
- PFIC Excess Distribution
- PFIC MTM (Mark-To-Market)
- OVDP Opt-Out
- Quiet Disclosure
- International Criminal Tax Investigation
- FBAR Fraud
- Lived Abroad and Never Filed a Tax Return?
- IRS Passport Revocation
- Bitcoin (FBAR & FATCA)
- Understanding IRS Tax Amnesty For Offshore or Foreign Money
- Did Your CPA Commit Fraud?
- Foreign Earned Income Exclusion Basics
- Foreign Real Estate Rental
- Foreign Real Estate Basis
- 5 Important Reportable Foreign Investments
- Is Your Cryptocurrency Taxable and FBAR Reportable?
- What is J5 and What does it Mean to Undeclared Cryptocurrency?
- What is Structuring Cash Transactions?