The CP518 Notice was Received from the IRS, How to Respond

The CP518 Notice was Received from the IRS, How to Respond

CP518 Notice for Individuals with No Record of Tax Return on File

The Internal Revenue Service has hundreds of different types of Notices that they issue to Taxpayers for a variety of different domestic and international tax and reporting circumstances. For example, if a taxpayer has been assessed an international information reporting penalty they may receive a CP15 Notice. Alternatively, if a taxpayer has an unpaid tax or penalty, the IRS may issue a CP Form 503 or 504 putting the Taxpayer on notice that they may pursue a Notice of Federal Tax Lien or even a Federal Tax Levy on the Taxpayer’s bank accounts, wages, etc. One of the more recent common types of notices is the CP518 Notice when a taxpayer has either not filed a tax return –– and/or the tax return was (presumably) lost at the IRS before it could be processed — so that there is no record of tax return ever being filed. Let’s review the basics of the CP518 Notice.

CP518 Individuals Notice

As provided by the IRS:

What this notice is about

This is a final reminder that we still have no record that you filed your prior tax returns.

What you need to do

      • File your tax return immediately or explain to us why you don’t need to file.

      • Complete Form 15103, Form 1040 Return Delinquency PDF, included with your notice to explain:

        • Why you’re filing late.

        • Why you don’t have to file.

        • That you’ve already filed.

      • Detach notice stub, mail it with your tax return and completed Form 15103 using the envelope provided or fax it to the fax number in the notice using a fax machine or online fax service. Several online fax services use the internet to send files from your computer or smart device to a fax number.

If we don’t hear from you

  • We may determine your tax for you, and penalty and interest may continue to accrue.

  • If you are owed a refund for the current tax year, or any prior year, it may be delayed because of this unfiled return.

You may want to

Golding & Golding: About Our International Tax Law Firm

Golding & Golding specializes exclusively in international tax and specifically IRS offshore disclosure.

Contact our firm today for assistance.