Gifts from Foreign Person & IRS Reporting

Gifts from Foreign Person & IRS Reporting

Gifts from Foreign Person & IRS Reporting

Gifts From Foreign Person & IRS Reporting: When a U.S. person receives one or more gifts from a Foreign Person (individual, entity or trust), the recipient may have to report the value to the IRSThere are different threshold requirements for reporting, depending on the value of gift, and who makes the gift. The three categories of foreign persons for gift reporting purposes, include:

  • Foreign Individual
  • Foreign Entity, or
  • Foreign Trust

In recent years, the Internal Revenue Service has increased enforcement of foreign gift reporting and accounts compliance

The failure to report  may result in offshore penalties.

These penalties may be ablated with reasonable cause and voluntary disclosure.

How to Report Gifts from a Foreign Person

The reporting aspect of foreign gifts is relatively straightforward.

When a U.S. Person receives a gift from a foreign person that meets the threshold for filing, the U.S. Person must report the Gift on Form 3520.

Important Practice Tip

If you receive a gift from Taiwan for Example of $600,000 and your Dad needed 12 of their friends to each facilitate the transfer of $50,000 due to currency restrictions, this is still reportable.


Because the gift came from your dad, despite how he needed help from others to facilitate the transfer.

Examples of Foreign Gift Reporting & Tax

Example 1: Tax on Gift with No Income Generated

Michelle is a U.S. person.

Her Parents are Taiwanese.

Michelle graduated medical school and her parents transferred her $800,00 to buy a house.

Is the Gift Taxable?

No, the gift is not taxable — but it is reported on Form 3520.

Example 2: Tax with no Income

David’s parents are citizens of China.

They are non-US persons and neither of them have ever had any US citizenship, Legal Permanent Resident status or otherwise filed a US tax return (or subject to US tax).

David’s parents gifted him $1 million to purchase a home for him and his new wife.

Unless other facts impacted the scenario, David’s parents would be considered foreign persons and David’s reporting would be limited to filing a Form 3520.

The gift is not taxable.

Example 3: Tax on Gift with Income Generated

Neil came to the United States to study on F-1 visa and then transitioned over to an H1B visa.

Neil’s parents were very proud of him, so they gifted him $200,000 worth of fixed deposits (FDs) in India.

Is Neil’s Gift Taxable?

While the gift itself is still not taxable, the income generated from the FD after it was transferred to Neil is taxable in the U.S.

In addition, Neil wiill have an FBAR Reporting Requirement.

Penalties for Not Reporting a Gifts From Foreign Person

The penalty for failing to file each one of these information returns, or for filing an incomplete return is five (5%) percent of the gift per month, up to a maximum penalty of 25 percent of the gift.

Golding & Golding: About Our International Tax Law Firm

Golding & Golding specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20 years of experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.

Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide are Certified Specialists

Sean M. Golding is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.

Recent Case Highlights

  • We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
  • We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
  • We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
  • We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
  • We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.

How to Hire Experienced Offshore Counsel

Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:

  • 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
  • Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience
  • Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
  • Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
  • Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA

Interested in IRS Voluntary Disclosure?

No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant.

Golding & Golding specializes in IRS Offshore and Voluntary Disclosure. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.