Offshore Tax Lawyers (Golding & Golding)

Offshore Tax Lawyers (Golding & Golding)

Offshore Tax Lawyers (Golding & Golding)

International Tax Law — and IRS offshore disclosure in particular — is a very complicated area of US tax law. Only very few tax attorneys have the international tax law experience, education and credentials you need to successfully navigate the IRS international tax maze. If you are seeking an Offshore Tax Lawyer for representation in the United States and Worldwide, then the International Tax Lawyers at Golding & Golding (Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist) can safely get you into offshore tax compliance. IRS Voluntary Disclosure of foreign or offshore accounts is a legal method for getting into IRS Tax and Reporting compliance — as long as you submit before the IRS finds you first. It allows you to safely and voluntarily disclose your foreign accounts, assets, income and investments. Our offshore tax lawyers represent clients in over 80-different countries. In recent years, the IRS had made international tax and reporting a key enforcement priority. The internal revenue service has developed various offshore voluntary and streamlined offshore disclosure programs.  These international tax programs are designed to help taxpayers get into of compliance for unreported offshore accounts, assets, investments and income. The failure to be in compliance may result in fines and penalties, including FBAR penalties. At Golding & Golding our Offshore Tax Lawyers are here to protect you.

Golding & Golding Offshore Tax Lawyer Specialist Team

Many foreign taxpayers are overwhelmed by the US tax system — and we are here to help them safely get into foreign accounts complianceThe IRS does little to prepare new residents and investors with the specifics of what they are required to include on their tax returns, FBAR, Form 8938, etc.  In fact, the world of international tax is so vast — and the IRS reporting forms so complicated — that we have developed many different specialty websites designed to focus on a specific form, such as the notorious FBAR and (relatively) new IRS FATCA Form 8938. To aid clients in obtaining cost-effective representation, our International Tax Attorney Team has also developed an innovative flat-fee model that has been implemented by tax and law firms across the globe.  The model is designed to handle both the tax and legal representation in-house, and help clients avoid the low upfront fee retainer bait and switch  —  and prevent inexperienced counsel’s misuse of Kovel.

*A Kovel Letter is often misused by inexperienced counsel to refer tax preparation matters to a CPA. It does not apply to tax return preparation or legal communications surrounding the preparation — and it puts client confidentiality and privilege at serious risk when used incorrectly.

Areas of International Tax our Offshore Tax Lawyers Specialize in

Within the world of offshore disclosure and tax compliance, our international tax attorney team specializes exclusively in offshore tax and compliance matters.

Here is a brief summary of some of the key international tax Compliance matters that we offer representation for:

Offshore Voluntary Disclosure & Tax Amnesty

When a US person has unreported foreign accounts, assets, investments, and/or income there may be a risk for IRS fines and penalties. The penalties can be rough, but they can oftentimes be avoided or minimized by using one of the approved offshore tax amnesty and voluntary disclosure programs that can safely get you into compliance.

*Be careful with some of the fear mongering you will undoubtedly come across during your Google research expedition for offshore tax lawyers.


FBAR & FATCA are two mainstays for aggressive IRS enforcement.

FBAR refers to Foreign Bank And Financial Account Reporting. The technical name of the form is FinCEN Form 114.

FATCA on the other hand refers to the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. When a Taxpayer has a FATCA reporting requirement, they are typically required to file a form 8938 to report their FATCA Specified Foreign Financial Assets.

The US government and IRS specifically have made enforcement a key priority.


If you receive a FATCA Letter or CRS (Common Reporting Standard) Letter — sometimes referred to as a Know Your Customer letter — the clock has started ticking for the foreign bank to report you to the IRS — and you should consult with experienced counsel.

Reporting Gifts from Foreign Persons

When a US person receives a gift from a foreign person that meets the threshold for reporting on form 3520, but they do not timely file the form — the IRS may issue penalties.

Since it generally takes the taxpayers some time to realize they should have filed the form, they oftentimes get hit with the maximum penalty — which is 25% of the value of the gift.

Foreign Trust Reporting

Foreign trusts have to be reported on Forms 3520 and 3520-A.

The tax and reporting requirements for foreign trusts can be very onerous and complicated.

Filing Foreign Corporation & Partnership Information Returns

When a US person has an ownership or interest in a foreign corporation or foreign partnership, they may have several reporting and filing requirements.

Two of the most common forms the taxpayer may have to file is a form 5471 or form 8865.

If the taxpayer does not file these forms timely, they may be subject to fines and penalties.

Reporting Foreign Pension

The rules surrounding the US reporting and taxation of foreign pensions are very complicated.

Whether or not the foreign country has entered into a tax treaty with the United States (such as the UK) will help determine the US taxation rules for the pension. The problem is that not all tax treaties go into great depth regarding specific foreign pensions — such as Australia and the superannuation tax and reporting rules.

Likewise, with some foreign countries the US has not entered into any tax treaty with them, and therefore the income generated from these types of retirement plans — such as provident funds — from countries such as Singapore and Hong Kong may be taxable in the US (even though they are tax deferred overseas).

Avoiding or Minimizing Offshore Penalties

Sometimes a taxpayer will receive a notice such as a CP15 notice, 504 Notice or examination/audit request regarding international related penalties.

Our International Tax Attorneys work with clients to try to get these penalties minimized, avoided or abated.

Expatriation for Legal Permanent Residents and Citizens

When it is time for a legal permanent resident to abandon their status or a US citizen to renounce their citizenship, they will enter the world of the IRS expatriation rules, US exit tax, and the dreaded covered expatriate analysis. This is a very complicated area of tax law. Our International Tax Attorneys have worked with many clients facing expatriation and offshore compliance and have developed strategies to help safely get them out of the U.S. tax system.

In conclusion, the international tax attorney team at Golding and Golding, specializes exclusively in offshore tax compliance and reporting. We have represented thousands of clients nationwide and in over 80 countries with safely getting into offshore tax and reporting compliance.

Golding & Golding: About Our Offshore Tax Lawyers

Golding & Golding specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS disclosure & compliance.

Contact our firm today for assistance.