Inherited Foreign Accounts

Inherited Foreign Accounts: If you inherited foreign accounts, it is important to note the IRS offshore reporting rules can be complex.

Once a person inherits accounts from a Deceased Person there are various FBAR Filing & Form 8938 Requirements. And, with the IRS taking an aggressive position towards foreign accounts compliance, it is important to stay in compliance.

If a person has unreported income and/or has not filed foreign accounts timely, the IRS has developed various amnesty programs, such as FBAR Amnesty and other amnesty programs which are collectively referred to as offshore voluntary disclosure.

Inherited Foreign Accounts Reporting on FBAR, FATCA, IRS Schedule B

Inherited Foreign Accounts Reporting on FBAR, FATCA, IRS Schedule B

Offshore Reporting FBAR, Form 8938 & Schedule B

The Inheriting Foreign Accounts rules are multi-layered. And, when it comes to inheriting foreign accounts and avoiding estate FBAR and FATCA penalties, time is of the essence. With the introduction and enforcement of FATCA, it is becoming much more common for individuals who inherit money from individuals who have assets, income or investments overseas to realize that the person leaving the inheritance may not have been in IRS compliance regarding their foreign accounts, including not having filed FBARs.

File FBAR & 8938 for Foreign Account Inheritance?

The situation of probate, estate planning and the discovery of foreign accounts is a very common issue. Luckily, especially in situations in which the estate, decedent and/or the beneficiary was non-willful, there may be a relatively simple and straightforward means to resolving the issue —  by entering the streamlined offshore disclosure program, and bringing the estate into IRS compliance.

Typical Example

Michelle is the administrator of her mother’s trust. Her father passed away many years ago and her mother only recently passed away. While Michelle is going through her mother’s belongings, she finds bank statements and a passbook for bank accounts in Hong Kong that she never knew existed.

In following up with the bank, Michelle learns that these accounts have been opened for several years (Michele’s mom is originally from Hong Kong).

It turns out that the bank account had accumulated wealth over time and is now worth in the neighborhood of $400,000.  

While this is a bit of a treasure trove for Michelle, she has to make sure she handles the reporting and disclosure properly.

Review Mom’s Tax Returns

Even though Michelle did not know about the accounts, that does not mean that Michelle’s mom and her CPA may not have been aware of the accounts.   It’s not like our parents tell us everything, right? Therefore, Michelle’s first step is to contact her mother’s CPA or accountant (presuming there was one) to determine whether these accounts will properly reported to the IRS. Otherwise, Michelle should review the returns herself or with a Tax Attorney.

Since the value of the account is around $400,000, it would presume that in the last few years, Michelle’s mom had a few reporting requirements involving schedule B of the 1040, FBAR & FATCA.

When Michelle contacts her mom’s accountant, she learns that the accountant was none the wiser either. As such, the accounts were not disclosed on Michelle’s moms tax returns.

Therefore, Michelle has two issues:

  • Amending the prior returns, and
  • Filing her mom’s last tax return, as well as the estate tax return.

Why Michelle Should Do Something

Sometimes, it is easier to let sleeping dogs lie and not bother resolving a situation in which Michelle has no knowledge or background. The problem is that in this situation, there is a bit of an ongoing problem. Why?

  • The IRS can still audit the estate
  • The foreign bank may have already reported Michele’s mom to the IRS
  • Michelle has to file her mom’s last tax return, which would introduce these foreign accounts for the first time
  • Michelle has to file the estate tax return

Is There Prior Unreported Income

The United States follows a citizen-based taxation/worldwide income model. That means that even though income generated in Hong Kong through passive means such as bank interest is typically tax-free in Hong Kong, that does not make it tax-free in the United States.

In other words, Michelle’s mom had a requirement to file her tax returns and include her worldwide income – even income that is tax-free in a foreign country.  If it is the type of income which is exempted under a tax treaty, then that income is also included in the tax return — typically along with a reference to the specific paragraph in the tax treaty exempting the income from taxation.

What If Michelle Doesn’t Disclose?

This could be a problem. First, in accordance with FATCA, more than 300,000 Foreign Financial Institutions are reporting millions of US account holders to the IRS. Therefore, at this time it is impossible to determine whether the IRS already has the information.

Therefore, if Michelle files for mom’s last return or the estate’s return without disclosing the information, it could lead to the IRS believing Michelle was willful and failing to report the account. Thus, since Michelle now has the knowledge of the accounts — if she does not report them and is considered to be “willful,” it could lead to excessive fines and penalties.

Common Reporting Requirements


Since Michelle’s mother’s account exceeds $10,000, chances are she will be required to file the FBAR. The FBAR is the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account Form.  The IRS has the authority to issue very stiff penalties against any individual who fails to properly disclose their foreign accounts in the annual FBAR Report. The FBAR  is due at the same time that the tax return is due, but it is not filed with the tax return — it is submitted online directly to FinCEN.


FATCA is the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.  It is a relatively new law  that somewhat mimics the FBAR,  but is filed along with a person’s tax return and has much more intensive reporting.  Unlike that FBAR which only requires the reporting of the accounts maximum balance during the tax year, FATCA  requires an individual to disclose a history of the income generated from the FATCA  assets within form 8938. Over  the years, the form has expanded and the reporting requirements are more intense than for the FBAR.  Also, since form 8938 is  included directly on the tax return, it is very important to stay in compliance.

Safely Disclose Assets/Accounts to the IRS

We specialize in IRS Disclosure of Foreign/Offshore Assets, Accounts, Income and Investments.

Golding & Golding: About Our International Tax Law Firm

Golding & Golding specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20 years of experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.

Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide Are Certified Specialists

Sean M. Golding is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.

Recent Golding & Golding Case Highlights

  • We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
  • We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
  • We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
  • We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
  • We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.
How to Hire Experienced Streamlined Counsel?

How to Hire Experienced Streamlined Counsel?

How to Hire Experienced Offshore Counsel?

Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:

  • Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
  • Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
  • Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA
  • 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
  • Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience

Interested in Learning More about Golding & Golding?

No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant. 

Golding & Golding specializes in FBAR and FATCA. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.

Schedule a Confidential Reduced-Fee Initial Consultation with a Board-Certified Tax Attorney Specialist


930 Roosevelt Avenue, Suite 321, Irvine, CA 92620