FBAR for Entities – Examples of Entity FBAR Submission Requirements (Golding & Golding)

FBAR for Entities – Examples of Entity FBAR Submission Requirements (Golding & Golding)

FBAR for Entities – Examples of Entity FBAR Submission Requirements

While it often becomes an unwelcome surprise for individuals who are considered U.S. Person to learn they have to file an annual FBAR statement to report their foreign accounts, it usually becomes an even bigger (and more unwelcome) surprise to learn that their entity has to file an FBAR as well.

FBAR for Entities

Common questions receive regarding FBAR filing for entities:

  1. Do all entities file an FBAR?
  2. Even U.S. entities have to file an FBAR
  3. Is an entity FBAR due at the same time?
  4. Who files the FBAR for the entity?
  5. What if the entity never filed an FBAR?
  6. Who does the IRS Penalize?
  7. How can I bring the entity into compliance?

Who Must File an FBAR

The FBAR requirement is not limited to U.S. Individuals, but rather, U.S. Persons, which is more encompassing than just individuals, and includes businesses.

Who Is a U.S. Person?

A U.S. person can typically be broken down into two (2) categories:


When it comes to international tax and foreign/offshore IRS, FBAR and FATCA Reporting, one of the biggest sources of confusion (understandably) is who is considered a US person. 

When dealing with individuals, a U.S. person is typically going to include:

  • U.S. Citizens
  • Legal Permanent Resident; and
  • Foreign Nationals who meets the Substantial Presence Test.


An Additional category of U.S. person that most people overlook is U.S. Businesses, including Corporations, Partnerships, and other U.S. businesses. 

A U.S. is considered a U.S. person, and if a U.S. business has foreign accounts, then it may have to file an FBAR if the reporting threshold is met.

FBAR Reporting for Businesses

A U.S. business is considered a US person and the FBAR requirement is for U.S. persons – not merely U.S. “individuals.”

If a business is considered a U.S. Person then the business is also required to file an FBAR when business has foreign accounts overseas and meets the “more than $10,000 in annual aggregate total” threshold.  

Even if the foreign account is in the name of the U.S. Business, and not an individual, the U.S. Person business must still “FBAR Report” the account.

As provided by the IRS:

United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:


United States person includes U.S. citizens; U.S. residents; entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies, created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States

Golding & Golding – Common FBAR Business Examples


A U.S. corporation begins to conduct business outside of United States.  In many countries it is easier and almost necessary for a U.S. person to open a foreign bank in order to make purchases in local currency, pay vendors, contractors, etc. Therefore, the corporation opens a corporate account in the foreign country.

As a result, the U.S. corporation is required to file the FBAR.


A U.S. partnership decides it is less expensive to operate solely as a U.S. partnership and expand by securing registered agents in many different countries. Despite the fact that it is still a U.S. partnership that does not have any foreign entities associated with the partnership, the partnership still must disclose any foreign accounts that the partnership has in any one of the countries.

Employee of the Corporation

David is an employee of the corporation and has signature authority over the account. Even though none of the money personally belongs to David, David is an employee of the company who has signature authority over the foreign account. Therefore David is required to complete the FBAR portion relating to signatories (some exceptions apply)


A US trust has beneficiaries outside of the United States. In order for the trust to make payments beneficiaries outside of the United States, the trust opens foreign bank accounts outside of United States.

As a result, the US trust is required to disclose foreign bank accounts on an FBAR – even though the trust is a US trust.

** The trust can avoid having to file a form 3520-A if it a US trust, but would still have to file the FBAR.

U.S. Individual with a Foreign Business

This is a common situation. For example, Peter owns multiple rental properties in Latin America.  He owns the companies in a Sociedad Anonima. He is a 90% owner of the business with a local registered agent serving as the other 10% owner.

The foreign corporation has multiple accounts and Peter is the majority owner of the foreign corporation. Since Peter has signature authority over the accounts, he is required to report the accounts, even though he has never stepped foot into the foreign financial institution.

Unreported Foreign Accounts

If you had and FBAR filing requirement but have not filed the FBAR in one or more years, you may consider getting into compliance through One of the approved FBAR Amnesty IRS voluntary disclosure programs.

Do I Need an FBAR Attorney?

Maybe…and maybe not.

When You May Not Need an FBAR Attorney

If your FBAR filing is timely in the current year, and you have a CPA or Tax Professional who understands the form – and you do not have any years of non-compliance, then you may not need an Attorney.

That is because if there is no untimeliness, and no lack of compliance – then there should be no FBAR penalty issues.

Under most other circumstances, you will need an FBAR Attorney to assist you.

**You may have other international informational returns which should have been filed, but never were. The non-filing of these forms may subject you to additional fines and penalties. Therefore, if in addition to a bank account(s) you also have foreign investments, trusts, businesses, etc. you should consider speaking with an experienced FBAR attorney to assess your tax and international reporting requirements.

When You Need an FBAR Attorney

If you are out of compliance for not properly (aka timely and accurately) filing the FBAR in one or more years, you should speak with an experienced FBAR Attorney. 

Golding & Golding: About our International Tax Law Firm

Golding & Golding specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20-years experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.