A Streamlined offshore procedure submission to either the Domestic or Foreign IRS submission programs is a big deal. By submitting to the streamlined program, you are making a proactive representation to the IRS, under penalty of perjury.
The streamlined certification form (14653 and 14654) involves both tax and legal representation, which is why the most experienced and proven lawyers in this field are dually-licensed and have board specialist certification in tax.
Streamlined Offshore Certification by U.S. or Non-U.S. Person
The Streamlined Offshore Certification Form 14563 & 14654 are required in order to make a streamlined submission.
Contained directly above the signature block on the certification form, is the phrase:
“Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this certification and all accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and complete.”
What is the Penalty of Perjury?
The Penalty of perjury statute is contained in 18 U.S. Code §?1621. Perjury generally:
18 U.S. Code §?1621
Whoever— (1) having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the United States authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or
(2) in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true;
is guilty of perjury and shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. This section is applicable whether the statement or subscription is made within or without the United States.
Importance of Experienced Streamlined Offshore Counsel
In the past few years, the market has become inundated with attorneys falsely representing their experience in offshore disclosure.
These attorneys lack credentials, experience and advanced certifications. They make false representations, including:
- Claiming to specialize, but actually practice in multiple areas of tax law
- Downplay the importance of signing under penalty of perjury
- Misrepresent the nature of the Kovel Letter and Attorney-Client privilege.
- Underestimate the importance of being dually-licensed
- Fail to achieve advanced credentials or certifications
Golding & Golding (Board-Certified Tax Attorney Specialist)
We specialize exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure.
We have successfully represented clients in more than 1,000 streamlined and voluntary offshore disclosure submissions nationwide and in over 70-different countries. We have represented thousands of individuals and businesses with international tax problems.
We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe.
- Learn more about the Board-Certified Tax Lawyer Specialist credential
- Learn more about the Enrolled Agent credential
- Learn more about Golding & Golding’s Case Accomplishments
- Learn more about Golding & Golding Testimonials from prior clients
We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants and Financial Professionals worldwide.
Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide Are Certified Specialists
Sean M. Golding is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.
Recent Golding & Golding Streamlined Offshore Case Highlights
- We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
- We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
- We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
- We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
- We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.
How to Hire Experienced Streamlined Counsel?
Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:
- Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
- Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
- Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA
- 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
- Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience
Interested in Learning More about Golding & Golding?
No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant.
Golding & Golding specializes in FBAR and FATCA. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.