Are Closed Foreign Accounts Reported on an FBAR?

Are Closed Foreign Accounts Reported on an FBAR?

Are Closed Foreign Accounts Reported on an FBAR?

As the FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) due date rapidly approached (April 15th), we often receive the question of whether closed accounts need to be reported on a FBAR.

The answer is — yes: If the account was opened at all during the prior year (example: 2016), then it must be reported on the 2016 FBAR (due on April, 2017).

For the subsequent years (example, 2017 FBAR due in 2018), the account closed in 2016 would not need to be reported.

More About FBARs?

Golding & Golding are highly-respected International Tax Lawyers and FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account) Lawyers who have represented hundreds of individuals and businesses with FBAR compliance related issues in accordance with IRS and DOT rules and regulations.

Many unscrupulous law firms, CPAs and Lawyer/CPAs are providing the public with misinformation about the FBAR form in order to try and scare them into retaining these firms for FBAR representation, only to be left in a worse position than when they started.

Unfortunately, many people and businesses are getting into trouble because they relied upon a tax professional who was misinformed about international tax law or FBAR related experience. They use marketing and advertising ploys to instill fear in potential client – only to get the client in a serious bind with the federal government because they did not understand what is required to be included in the FBAR Filing.

We are providing you with a Free Summary of the common Frequently Asked Questions regarding questions we have received over the years. (While FATCA is a a relatively new law, the FBAR has been in place for nearly 50 years). Even though The FBAR form itself has a set of instructions and frequently asked questions (FAQ) section, our Frequently Asked Question list is more of “FAQs from the trenches,” in which we will answer questions which are not really provided for by the government.

To learn more about related issues such as the Streamlined Program or OVDP, please click those links for additional FAQ pages.

What is an FBAR Statement?

An FBAR statement is a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts form. It is electronically filed annually with the Department of the Treasury online. Before this year (2016) the form had to be filed no later than June 30th of the current tax year in order to report the accounts for the prior tax year (File in 2015 to report the 2014 Maximum Account Balances). The law is changing in 2016 which will be applicable in 2017, and will have an April 15th, 2017 due date.

Is it more than $10,000 per account, or in Total?

An FBAR is required to be filed when a person or business (explained below) has an annual aggregate total of foreign accounts that exceeds $10,000 on any day throughout the year. It does not matter if all that money is in one account or if a person had 11 accounts with $1000.00 in each account (you get the picture, right?). Once your overseas foreign accounts exceed $10,000, it is now time to report all of the foreign accounts. 

You are required to report the maximum balance throughout the year. If you do not have the maximum balance available, you can mark the box that notes the Max balance is unavailable — or alternatively you can use the best value have and then note that on the FBAR.

What if the Money is not mine?

Even if the money is not yours, but you have signature authority over the foreign account – you are required to report the account on the FBAR. This also includes accounts in which you are a joint account holder but the money is not yours – it still must be reported.

Who or What is a U.S. Taxpayer?

This question can get more and more complex depending on who you speak to and what the context of the question is. To that end, if you are either a U.S. citizen, Legal Permanent Resident, or Foreign National Subject to US tax such as a visa holder (if you meet the Substantial Presence Test), then you should most likely file the annual FBAR form.

*If you are unsure whether you should file the form or not, you should speak with an experienced International Tax Lawyer to evaluate your particular situation.

I Live Overseas, Does that Matter?

Unlike a FATCA Form 8938 — which is similar to the FBAR — the requirements for filing the FBAR do not change solely because you live overseas. In other words, if you still meet the requirements for having to file a tax return (even if you do not have to file a tax return because you did not meet the minimum threshold requirements for earning income sufficient to file a tax return) you still have to file the FBAR – no matter where you live.

I Relinquished my Green Card/Legal Permanent Residency 

Unfortunately, just because you relinquished your green card does not mean you are exempt from filing an FBAR. If you are considered a long-term resident of the United States and/or meet the substantial presence test you may still be responsible for filing an annual FBAR statement. 

*You should speak with an experienced FBAR lawyer to discuss this in more detail.

I did Not have to File a Tax Return?

This can also get confusing, but it is important to remember that the FBAR is not filed with your tax return. Rather, while your tax return is filed directly with the Internal Revenue Service (by mail or online), your FBAR is filed online electronically directly with the Department of Treasury. Even if you do not meet the threshold requirements for filing a tax return, if your annual foreign account balances exceed $10,000, you should still file the FBAR.

The Money in the Foreign Accounts is not Mine?

This is not unusual. It is very common in foreign countries to have children or other individuals with a Power of Attorney over another person’s account – even when the money does not belong to the POA holder. To that end, if a person’s name is on the account, they should still file an FBAR statement. There is a section of the FBAR reserved for individuals who have signatory authority or other type of authority on the account, but the money is not theirs.

I do not want to Report my Foreign Parents’ Name on the FBAR

We understand the importance of privacy. Generally, there are ways around reporting the information the FBAR where you disclose certain information but not all the requested information (while still being FBAR compliant). 

The Money is from an Inheritance

It is important to remember that the FBAR is a reporting form. In other words, the Department of Treasury wants to know whether you have the money overseas — so that the DOT can track it.  The source of the money is less important to the degree that the Department of Treasury does not really care whether you received it from an inheritance, whether you earned it overseas, or whether you have full access to that money at the current time – for FBAR purposes at least.  Rather, they just want to know where the money is being held in whose name is associated with the account.

Thus, even if the money was inherited, you are required to report the account information on the FBAR. If you fail to do so and get stuck in the IRS/DOT crosshairs as a result of the foreign financial institution reporting the account in accordance with FATCA, it will be much harder to explain the situation at that time versus simply filing the FBAR timely or entering into OVDP or the Streamlined Program.

**That does not mean you should file a late FBAR without entering one of the approved programs (please see below).

My Accounts are in the name of a Foreign Corporation 

This is where the FBAR starts to get more complicated. The most important thing to remember is the concept of the FBAR is to promote financial transparency. Therefore, it does not really matter how you structure the business, if in the end the money is yours, then you should file the FBAR.

This can be distinguished from a company in which you are merely an employee and have signatory authority, which would require a comprehensive analysis of the business and your rights to the business and money before determining whether you should file.

My Name is not on the Company…But I “Own” The Company

We get it. You opened the company offshore using other people’s names. In other words, even though your name is not directly on the corporate documents or other documents required to form the business in the foreign jurisdiction of choice…the money is yours.

This is the type of situation in which you should speak with an experienced FBAR lawyer before taking any action. Why? Because while technically the money is not yours to the degree that your name is not on the company, if the IRS or US government was to pierce the corporate veil and learn of your ownership (whether in fact or implied) you may be looking at tax evasion and tax fraud charges.

Alternatively, by claiming interest or ownership of the account in which your name is not directly associated may also open a Pandora’s box. This is the type of situation which may be best remedied through an offshore disclosure program – which is why you should wait to take any action before speaking directly with an experienced offshore disclosure lawyer

My Accounts are in the name of a Foreign Holding Corporation

It does not matter that the accounts are in a Foreign Holding Corporation – this is not sufficient to avoid filing the FBAR statement. Otherwise, a US taxpayer could simply open a BVI Holding Corp and put the holding Corp. as the owner of the account and thus not to have the file the FBAR – even though all of the account money belongs to the US taxpayer – which is directly contradictory to the purpose of the FBAR.

If you are the “true owner” of the money, then filing the FBAR is technically required.

My Accounts are in the name of a Foreign PFIC Corporation

The same thing goes for a Passive Foreign Investment Company. Depending on which country you are in and how the country titles the foreign company, these companies come in all shapes and sizes. Back in the 80s, they were used primarily to avoid detection by the United States government of foreign account and asset information. There is no exception to filing an FBAR simply because you transferred your money into the PFIC. 

My Accounts are in the name of a Foreign Trust

As you can imagine, foreign trusts are not immune from having to file an FBAR statement either – in addition to possibly having to file a 3520 and 3520A. Whether the purpose of the foreign trust was “harmless,” and/or you thought you could avoid U.S. detection or possibly to form the foreign credit shelter trust or foreign asset protection, a foreign trust does will not negate your requirement to file an FBAR. If the accounts are in a foreign trust, in which you are the owner of the foreign trust then you have to report the account on the FBAR.

What Types of Accounts must be Reported on an FBAR?

Essentially, any account that is maintained at a foreign financial institution must be reported on the FBAR – but this does not mean every income generating asset has to be included. Here’s an example: if you have a Foreign Bank Account at a Foreign Financial Institution it has to be reported on the FBAR. Conversely, if you have a foreign rental property that is earning foreign rental income, while the foreign rental income must be reported on your tax return, and the account in which the income that is generated is placed into must be reported (assuming you otherwise meet the FBAR filing requirements) —  the home itself does need not be reported on the FBAR.

Do I have to report my Life Insurance Policy?

This is another complex area of the FBAR. Essentially, if the life insurance policy (or life assurance policy as it is called in many countries) has a surrender value or sale value insofar as you could sell the policy on the open market – it should most likely be reported on the FBAR.

In situations like this where there is a reporting requirement, it is better to err on the side of caution.

Reporting on the FBAR vs. Paying Tax on the Money

This is a question we receive often, and so a distinction must be made. Just because you are reporting a foreign account on an FBAR does not mean there is a taxable event taking place. For example, the money may have been inherited, received as a gift and/or earned with income tax already having been paid on the earnings.

Thus, the key issue to remember with an FBAR is that the FBAR is a reporting requirement for you to update the Department of Treasury with your foreign accounts that you maintain overseas; it has nothing to do with whether there is a taxable event taking place.

Remember, the FBAR is a “Reporting” requirement for purposes of “Disclosure.”

I do not know my Maximum Account Value?

When you are reporting on the FBAR, you are supposed to provide the maximum value of the account balance for the year. Depending on which country you are in, and whether the account provides you statements (or if it is a passbook account) that information may not be readily available. When that information is not available, you may either click the box that reads maximum account balance unknown or you may also consider using the balance that you have available, and explaining why you cannot obtain the maximum value in the box provided on the first page of the FBAR.

Can If I file a Late FBAR Statement?

This is a very complex issue. Technically, you are not allowed to file a late FBAR statement. There is some exception for direct filings in situation where there is no unreported income. Other people submit a Quiet Disclosure (in which they secretly file prior FBARs and amended tax returns) which can result in extremely high fines and penalties.

The Internal Revenue Service a Department of Treasury are taking foreign account compliance very seriously and it is a major priority for the IRS. If you have not filed your FBAR statements, you have three main alternatives: Reasonable Cause Statement, Streamlined Disclosure, or OVDP (these are briefly discussed below)

Late FBAR Filings and a Reasonable Cause Statement

If you have not filed your FBAR timely, the first option is to submit the FBAR late accompanied by a Reasonable Cause Statement. The failure to file an FBAR can have extremely high penalties. Therefore, if you opt for the reasonable cause statement as opposed to one of the approved programs discussed below, then you are essentially submitting the account information and asking for forgiveness from the IRS for any penalty.

Two things to keep in mind his first, the IRS is not very sympathetic, and second, if the IRS disagrees with your reasoning — you have now disclosed all of your account information to the IRS with no protection from penalties or criminal investigation.

For more information about Reasonable Cause, please Click Here for a summary provided by Golding & Golding.

Late FBAR Filings and the Streamlined Program

Under the streamlined program, a person will amend their tax returns for three (3) years as well as file six (6) years of unreported past FBAR statements (assuming that they are a U.S. taxpayer for six years; if they have only been a US taxpayer for four (4) years they would only file four (4) years of past FBAR statements). This program is reserved for taxpayers who were non-willful (in other words, they were unaware of the requirement to file FBAR and report their foreign income).

For more information about the Streamlined Program, please Click Here for a summary provided by Golding & Golding.

Late FBAR Filings and OVDP

OVDP is the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program. It is a program designed for individuals, businesses and trusts that knowingly intentionally failed to report their foreign account information and foreign income earnings. The program requires the applicant to file eight (8) years of past FBAR statements along with eight years of original and/or amended tax returns.

For more information about OVDP, please click here for a summary provided by Golding & Golding.

Is the FBAR the same as an 8938 form?

No. While the forms are similar, they do have key differences. The 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) is filed with your tax return and has different threshold requirements (much higher than the $10,000+ for an FBAR), which will be dependent on whether the taxpayers are filing married filing jointly, married filing separate, single — as well as whether they reside in the United States or overseas.


We hope this summary will assist you understand the general concepts and requirements of filing an annual FBAR statement. This list is by no means comprehensive and if you have a specific question which was either not answered here (or is unclear) please feel free to contact our firm.

Below we have provided a summary of the FBAR filing process:


If you, your family, your business, your foreign trust, and/or PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Company) have more than $10,000 (in annual aggregate total at any time) overseas in foreign accounts and either have ownership or signatory authority over the account, it is important that you have an understanding of what you must do to maintain FBAR (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) compliance. There are very strict FBAR filing guidelines and requirements in accordance with general IRS tax law, Department of Treasury (DOT) filing initiatives, and FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act).

Filing FBARs and ensuring compliance with IRS International Tax Laws, Rules, and Regulations is extremely important for anyone, or any business that maintains:

  • Foreign Bank Accounts
  • Foreign Savings Accounts
  • Foreign Investment Accounts
  • Foreign Securities Accounts
  • Foreign Mutual Funds
  • Foreign Trusts
  • Foreign Retirement Plans
  • Foreign Business and/or Corporate Accounts
  • Insurance Policies (including some Life Insurance)
  • Foreign Accounts held in a CFC (Controlled Foreign Corporation); or
  • Foreign Accounts held in a PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Company)

Golding & Golding provides Foreign Account Reporting strategies for clients around the globe in order to report Foreign Bank Accounts and become FBAR compliant. We also defense clients who are under FBAR Audit by the IRS and DOT.


What is an FBAR?

In accordance with international tax law compliance, taxpayers who meet the threshold requirements are required to file an FBAR.

An FBAR is a “Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts” form. It is a form that is filed online directly with the Department of Treasury.  Unlike the tax return, the FBAR form must be filed by June 30th of the tax year and there are no extensions available for filing it late. If you attempt to file it late, there can be serious repercussions, including fines and penalties – since it is considered Quiet Disclosure or Silent Disclosure in an attempt to circumvent the OVDP or Streamlined Program rules and regulations.

**UPDATE: Starting in 2017 for Tax Year 2016 – filing of your 2016 FBAR will be in accordance with the same time periods to file your tax returns, which is by April, 2017 unless you receive an extension of time to file.

FBAR filings can be overwhelming, especially if you have never filed one before. If this is the case, our experienced international FBAR Lawyers can assist you in ensuring you are compliant with IRS FBAR Law and FATCA requirements.


Who is Required to File an FBAR?

Not everyone who has foreign accounts is required to file an FBAR.  Rather, it is required to be filed by all U.S. Taxpayers (whether they reside in the U.S. or overseas) with foreign accounts that have an “annual aggregate total” exceeding $10,000 at any time during the year. Thus, if a U.S. Taxpayer (including Legal Permanent Residents “aka Green Card Holders”) maintains foreign accounts, including banks accounts, financial accounts, or insurance policies that have a combined value of more than $10,000 (or has indirect ownership of the account or signature authority), then that person is required to file an FBAR statement.


What if None of My Accounts Exceed $10,000?

It does not matter.  It is important to remember that the threshold is the Annual Aggregate Total value at any given time during the year. This means if you have 21 accounts with $500 in them at any given time during the year, you are STILL required to file the FBAR and list all the accounts on it, even if none of the accounts exceed $10,000. In other words, you are required to report the total value of all your foreign accounts located in any foreign country once you exceed the $10,000 annual aggregate total threshold on any given day during the year.

There are various accounts and other assets (insurance policies) which may or may not be included in your FBAR analysis. Please contact one of our experienced FBAR Lawyers for further assistance regarding specific account disclosures.


What if I did Not File an FBAR Statement?

If a person fails to file the FBAR, there is still hope. Depending on whether the person also had unreported foreign income (income that was earned overseas and not reported on the U.S. tax return – even if it was reported in a foreign country and foreign tax was paid), the IRS and DOT will determine if a penalty will be issued; usually the taxpayer will be penalized but the amount of the penalty will vary. 


What are the Penalties for Failing to File an FBAR?

Recently, the Internal Revenue Service issued a memorandum which details how the IRS “believes” the agents should penalize individuals in accordance with their authority.  Essentially, there are two sets of penalty structures and they are based on whether the taxpayer was willful or non-willful