International Tax Lawyers

International Tax Lawyers: At Golding & Golding, our Tax Attorneys represent clients in International IRS tax matters across the globe. We are the International Tax Lawyer specialists that other tax professionals turn to when they need help in international tax, foreign assets and accounts, overseas income, and offshore reporting. 

Our team of tax attorneys and tax professionals to come together to solve complex international tax problems.

Our International Tax Attorney specializes in:

  • FBAR
  • Voluntary Disclosure
  • Offshore Reporting
  • Expatriation
  • International Reporting Form Penalty Abatement

Our International Tax Lawyers at Golding & Golding represent clients worldwide.

Our Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist team represents clients worldwide, in over 75-countries.

What is International Tax Law?

International Tax Law involves taxation, tax laws, and tax rules for multiple jurisdictions. For example, when an individual, business or estate is operating outside of their local jurisdiction, they may have tax issues that requires an international tax lawyer specialist to assist them. International Tax is also referred to as: Offshore Tax, Foreign Tax, and Cross-Border Tax.

What does an International Tax Attorney Do?

An International Tax Attorney handles tax transactions for individuals, businesses or estates that have tax issues involving offshore Tax, Foreign Tax, and Cross-Border Tax. This may include compliance, planning, audits, litigation, and more.

International Tax Lawyers for IRS Offshore Representation

International Tax Lawyers for IRS Offshore Representation

What is an International Tax Expert?

There is really no such thing as an “Expert” in Tax. Any Tax Attorney who uses the term “expert,” is probably a bit self-indulgent (read: egotistical). The closest you can get is being designated a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist.

What is a Board-Certified Tax Specialist?

It is a tough feat. There are more than 200,000 attorneys in California, and tens of thousands of them practice in some area of tax. In California alone, there are less than 400 Board-Certified Tax Specialists. Why? Because the test is brutal.

It covers many different areas of tax, oftentimes areas which are not even included in the practitioner’s daily area of practice.

Tax Specialist Exam study materials are scarce at best, and basically the practitioner has to rely upon is his or her experience to complete the full day exam. 

And, in order for a person to be Board-Certified — the applicant must also meet rigorous ethical and experience requirements as well.

Other FAQs Our International Tax Attorney Team

Here are some other common questions we receive about our international tax lawyers and what we do:

When Do You Need an International Tax Lawyer?

If you are handling or contemplating international tax related issues, such as cross-border planning, foreign account and offshore compliance, international tax audits, or are subject to international tax litigation — you may need an International Tax Lawyer.

Do I Need an International Tax Attorney vs. CPA or EA?

If you are seeking confidentiality, and your communications to be covered under the Attorney-Client privilege, you would want an International Tax Attorney to maintain that privilege. Better yet, you should consider a “Dually Licensed Attorney/EA or Attorney/CPA”

What is International Tax Compliance?

International Tax Compliance is the process of staying “compliant” with international tax related laws, rules and regulations. It is generally (but not always) a type of tax planning.

What is International Tax Planning?

With international tax planning, you are preparing for international tax transactions. Common types of tax planning, includes: “personal tax planning,” business tax planning,” “estate tax planning.”

What is an International Tax Audit?

An International Tax Audit is when the IRS (or other government body) is examining your tax situation, and it involves international related issues. Common issues include: FBAR, FATCA, PFIC, CFC, GILTI, Expatriation, and more.

What is International Estate Planning?

International Estate Planning is when a person is planning to preserve their wealth, and their wealth includes assets, income, investments, and accounts outside of the U.S. (aka Cross-Border Estate Planning).

What is a U.S. Expat?

A U.S. Expat is a person who is a U.S. Citizen, but no longer resides in the U.S.

What is Foreign Bank Account & Asset Reporting?

Foreign Bank Account and Asset Reporting is the process of disclosing assets, income, investments, and accounts outside of the U.S to the IRS and other government agencies in accordance with FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act), FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Reporting) and other U.S. Tax Rules.

What is an International or Foreign Tax Audit?

Is an Audit involving issues outside of the United States. Common issues may include:

  • FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act)
  • FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Reporting)
  • CFC (Controlled Foreign Corporations)
  • GILTI (Global Intangible Low-Taxed Income)
  • PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Companies)
  • Foreign Real Estate

What is IRS International Voluntary Practice?

IRS International Voluntary Practice is a type of IRS Tax Amnesty, in which a person uses various safe methods and practices to disclose assets, income, investments, and accounts outside of the U.S

What is an International Business?

An International Business is business that operates outside (and possibly inside) the United States, and may be subject to foreign country tax laws.

What is International Business Taxes?

International Business Taxes are the foreign or offshore taxes involving businesses that operate outside (and possibly inside) the United State.

What is International Tax Evasion?

If a a U.S. Person intentionally or willfully hides or fail to report foreign income, assets, investments, or accounts, you may be guilty of International Tax Evasion – which a Tax Crime.

Golding & Golding: About Our International Tax Law Firm

Golding & Golding specializes exclusively in international tax, and specifically IRS offshore disclosure

We are the “go-to” firm for other Attorneys, CPAs, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Financial Professionals across the globe. Our attorneys have worked with thousands of clients on offshore disclosure matters, including FATCA & FBAR.

Each case is led by a Board-Certified Tax Law Specialist with 20 years of experience, and the entire matter (tax and legal) is handled by our team, in-house.

*Please beware of copycat tax and law firms misleading the public about their credentials and experience.

Less than 1% of Tax Attorneys Nationwide Are Certified Specialists

Sean M. Golding is one of less than 350 Attorneys (out of more than 200,000 practicing California Attorneys) to earn the Certified Tax Law Specialist credential. The credential is awarded to less than 1% of Attorneys.

Recent Golding & Golding Case Highlights

  • We represented a client in an 8-figure disclosure that spanned 7 countries.
  • We represented a high-net-worth client to facilitate a complex expatriation with offshore disclosure.
  • We represented an overseas family with bringing multiple businesses & personal investments into U.S. tax and offshore compliance.
  • We took over a case from a small firm that unsuccessfully submitted multiple clients to IRS Offshore Disclosure.
  • We successfully completed several recent disclosures for clients with assets ranging from $50,000 – $7,000,000+.

How to Hire Experienced Offshore Counsel?

Generally, experienced attorneys in this field will have the following credentials/experience:

  • 20-years experience as a practicing attorney
  • Extensive litigation, high-stakes audit and trial experience
  • Board Certified Tax Law Specialist credential
  • Master’s of Tax Law (LL.M.)
  • Dually Licensed as an EA (Enrolled Agent) or CPA

Interested in Learning More about Golding & Golding?

No matter where in the world you reside, our international tax team can get you IRS offshore compliant. 

Golding & Golding specializes in FBAR and FATCA. Contact our firm today for assistance with getting compliant.